Queens Regnant!
Welcome to the official Queens Regnant site! We're a group of female gamers that come here to play games like for Wii, PS3, and Xbox 360. If you would like to join please register and remember to introduce yourself and stay active!

We are now letting guys join the site! We made a sub clan for the guys called The Royal Knights! You guys are going to be our knights, since we being Queens. So gentleman welcome aboard!

QR Staff~
Queens Regnant!
Welcome to the official Queens Regnant site! We're a group of female gamers that come here to play games like for Wii, PS3, and Xbox 360. If you would like to join please register and remember to introduce yourself and stay active!

We are now letting guys join the site! We made a sub clan for the guys called The Royal Knights! You guys are going to be our knights, since we being Queens. So gentleman welcome aboard!

QR Staff~
Queens Regnant!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
If you're happy and you know it, VISIT QR MORE OFTEN DARN YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ash and Katie <3 you girls (and guys)!~ <--- Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Happy St. Patrick's Day! Mmm, corned beef.
QR's very own subclan, The Royal Knights, has arrived! Welcome aboard guys.
Don't forget to vote for your favorite QoP banner! There's still time left to vote!
Latest topics
» How to encounter Entei and Raikou in HG/SS easier with the Riot Method
Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 6:56 am by Slither2Hunter

» March Tourney
Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 11:50 pm by MissMisa12

» Plans for QoP wars???
Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 11:48 pm by MissMisa12

» cSc Tournament
Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 11:18 pm by jewlecho

» Royal Knight, Call-to-Arms.
Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 12:59 am by Kangurocow

» Hey, remember me?
Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 12:09 am by jewlecho

» Friend code thread
Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 8:45 pm by MissMisa12

» Queens of pokemon Banners!!!
Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 5:06 pm by MissMisa12

» QueensRegnant.Com
Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 9:38 pm by Riot

» The Royal Knights
Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 11:59 pm by Riot

» Hey you! Click this! O.O
Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 9:26 pm by daisy

» Clan war against [TF]
Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 10:30 pm by tpchikki15

» Can you out smart L?
Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 10:08 pm by Kangurocow

» Just stopping by. :)
Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 12:21 am by MissMisa12

» TRK Banner Contest!!!11!1
Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 9:11 pm by tpchikki15

» warning new girl ready to get her butt kick!!!!!!
Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 8:56 pm by Kangurocow

» Oshi-.... We're Back ;3
Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 8:16 pm by MissMisa12

» SOMEBODY BRAWL ME NOW
Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 2:16 am by MissMisa12

» Spoiler Youtube Video Quick Fix
Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 9:53 pm by Riot

» mario kart wii tournament
Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 10:38 pm by daisy

» Recruiting
Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 7:48 pm by (。◕‿‿◕。)

» Valkyria Chronicles
Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 6:09 pm by tpchikki15

» cSc: Won
Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 12:02 pm by tpchikki15

» Pokemon Contests???
Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 6:43 pm by MissMisa12

» Friends/Foes
Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 10:33 pm by Riot

» February Tourney
Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 12:46 am by Kangurocow

» Favorite pokemons??
Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 1:45 am by Riot

» SUPER SPECIAL AWESOME INTERVIEW GO!!!! [with ash]
Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 7:02 pm by (。◕‿‿◕。)

» Official Post Your FriendCode!
Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 1:42 am by (。◕‿‿◕。)

» Advice Section.
Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 9:26 pm by MissMisa12

Valkyria Chronicles

Go down 
AuthorMessage
tpchikki15
Admin
Admin
tpchikki15

Female
Number of posts : 1889
Humor : Potter Puppet Pals!

Valkyria Chronicles Empty
PostValkyria Chronicles

I'm making a dent in my pile of unplayed games! One game down, twenty or so to go.

Valkyria Chronicles Valkyria_cover

Console: PS3
Developed By: Sega WOW
Published By: Sega

That's right, SEGA actually made a good game for once!

And I'm changing my rating system AGAIN. I'm going with numbers out of ten. There are some things that fall in between great and good, so I'm aggravated lol.

Graphics: 9/10
Storyline: 6.5/10
Characters: 10/10
Gameplay: 8.5/10
Music: 8/10
Overall: 8.5/10

Valkyria Chronicles was, without a doubt, a great game. The setting is the country of Gallia on the continent of Europa, a fictional version of Europe, in the year 1935. Europa is dominated by two superpowers, the Atlantic Federation in the west and Imperial Alliance in the east. Gallia is a small country nestled right in between those two monsters. The two powers soon go to war, starting the Second Europan, and, emboldened by their early success, they decide to invade Gallia for its rich deposits of ragnite, which is a type of fuel used for tanks and other weapons. The main protagonist is Welkin Gunther, a son of the late General Gunther, hero of First Europan War. The game is set up as a book, with different chapters and events that you had to view or play through to move on. There are other 'tabs' that you used to train your squad, read up on weapons, or view extra material.

The graphics were my second favorite part of the game. Everything and everyone looked like they walked straight out of a painting, but it still managed to look somewhat realistic. There was virtually no difference between cutscenes and actual gameplay. Most of the cutscenes were animated, but there were some conversations between characters that had a background, and then each character moving in a photograph-like box. I was especially impressed with how smooth the graphics were in-game, with detailed environments, weapons, and people.

The characters were absolutely fantastic. The main characters were likeable, which is always a good thing, but it was the minor characters that really impressed me. You could pick a squad of (I think?) fifteen from a roster of thirty or so. Each character had a unique background that was kept in the 'Personnel' tab of your book. Every character had personality traits that helped or hindered them on the battlefield, such as Born Leader or Man Hater. When you picked a character to move, they said a unique phrase before it transitioned into real-time. (See gameplay.) They also had other unique sayings before they shot someone, threw a grenade, or saw a friend on the battlefield. I got really attached to a few of them. Another thing that was great about the characters: every single thing they said was voice-acted. The voice-acting itself was passable, but I really heard the emotion in their voices, and each voice was unique.

The storyline was definitely the weakest part of the game. There were some good moments, but many more that made me shake my head. I'm not spoiling anything by saying this, it's in the introduction to the game, but the two main characters fall in love. Fine. But the way they confessed their love to each other was incredibly cheesy. I wanted to cover my eyes. I am kind of spoiling my next complaint, so I'll add a spoiler.
Spoiler:

The gameplay was great, it was the perfect balance between strategy and action. At the beginning of your turn, you are given a pool of command points that you can use. Moving a ground unit uses one command point, moving a tank uses two, and there are a variety of orders that use different command points, the maximum being three. Once you pick the unit you want to move, you're brought into the game, and you can move your character around any way you want, without being hindered by a grid. Each unit has a different movement gauge, which determines how far that unit can move. Once the movement gauge runs out, you can either use a weapon or end your turn. You can also end your turn before the movement gauge runs out, and you can only use one weapon, once, per turn. If you want to move the same unit again, you get another weapon use, but your movement gauge is less full than it was the first time you move that unit. It keeps depleting the more you use that person. But the next turn, your unit is granted a full movement gauge again. My biggest complaint is you can't do anything when the enemy phase is going on. Your units will fire at a moving enemy automatically if they're facing in their direction, but you can't help them at all. You can't even pause the game, which is aggravating.

The music was really good as well. Their were several tracks, but most of them had one main theme that was worked in. I liked the choice of music for each battle, most fittted the theme of that particular battle nicely. The tracks were recycled, so some got tiring, but overall it was very nice.

Valkyria Chronicles was actually nominated for Game of the Year in 2008, and it was definitely the most surprising game of that year. It was a heck of a lot of fun to play. If you like tactical action-filled role-playing games and don't mind a little sap, this game is definitely for you.
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Valkyria Chronicles :: Comments

No Comment.

Valkyria Chronicles

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Queens Regnant! :: Queens Regnant Community :: Queens Regnant Magazine :: Game Reviews-
Jump to: